Course: Dessert - Dish: Vegetarian - Serves: 10
- Line a 1kg loaf tin with clingfilm so enough hangs over the edge, to be folded over the top when the tin is full. Then, repeat (a double layer of cling film, makes lifting out easier).
- Drain the strawberries from 1 of the cans and reserve the syrup. Cut the drained strawberries into 1 – 2cm pieces.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Gently stir in the canned custard, vanilla, strawberry pieces and 3 tbsp of the reserved syrup. Place the rest of the syrup in a pan, heat through and add the cornflour and simmer for two minutes until thickened.
- Pour the semifreddo mixture into the lined loaf tin, smooth the top and place into the freezer. Freeze overnight.
- To serve, thaw the semifreddo in the fridge for 1 – 2 hours, until just starting to soften. Remove it from the tin and carefully peel off the clingfilm.
- Drain the strawberries from the remaining can, cut into quarters and serve scattered over the semifreddo with the reserved strawberry syrup and pistachio nuts.