Course: Dessert - Dish: Vegetarian - Serves: 10
- Line a 1kg loaf tin with clingfilm so enough hangs over the edge, to be folded over the top when the tin is full. Then, repeat (a double layer of cling film, makes lifting out easier).
- In a medium saucepan simmer the cherry syrup, spices, vanilla and sugar for 4-5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved add the cornflour and simmer for two minutes until thickened. Cut the cherries in half and stir into the syrup. Take off the heat and leave to infuse. Once cold, strain off the syrup and reserve.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Gently stir in the canned custard, half of the cherries and 2tbsp of the reserved syrup. Place the rest of the syrup and cherries in a container, cover and keep in the fridge.
- Pour the semifreddo mixture into the lined loaf tin, smooth the top and place into the freezer. Freeze overnight.
- To serve, thaw the semifreddo in the fridge for 1 – 2 hours, until just starting to soften. Remove it from the tin and carefully peel off the clingfilm.
- Drain the remaining cherries from the syrup. Serve scattered over the semifreddo with the flaked almonds and a little of the reserved cherry syrup.