This is an exclusive recipe from Lola Milne’s ‘Take One Tin’.
The sweetness and softness of squash works brilliantly with the crisp mild nuttiness of the chickpeas, all wrapped in gloriously warming spices, and served with tart yoghurt and a lemony breadcrumb crunch.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/gas mark 6.
- On a large baking tray, toss together the squash, chilli flakes, fennel and cumin seeds, cinnamon, garlic and oil, then season and roast for 20 minutes, or until the squash is starting to turn golden and soft but still holding its shape.
- Toss the chickpeas through and roast in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta in salted water according to pack instructions or until tender, reserve a mug of the cooking water, then drain.
- Using a potato masher, roughly crush about half the butternut squash and chickpea mixture. Add the pasta, yoghurt, parsley and enough of the reserved cooking water to the tray to coat the pasta in the sauce. Adjust the seasoning, top with the breadcrumb mixture and serve.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil with the garlic, breadcrumbs (and almonds, if using).
- Fry for 5–10 minutes, stirring often until golden.
- Stir through the lemon zest, if using, and serve.