1. Heat the olive oil in a pan.
2. Add the chopped onion and fry until it is just softening, then add the garlic and continue frying for two minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and vegetable stock, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer very gently for about 20 minutes. The sauce will darken and thicken.
4. Stir in the sugar.
5. Cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
6. Divide the tomato sauce in half, add the mascarpone, reheat and stir into the freshly cooked pasta.
7. Garnish with rocket or basil and Parmesan.
Hints and Tips
The remaining sauce can be frozen. Try adding chilli, basil, chorizo or spinach to create your favourite pasta sauces. Alternatively, use it as a base for pizza.
Remember that canned ingredients have a longer shelf-life than fresh, so you can cook this at any time using products from your store-cupboard.