Nutritional information per serving:
Sat Fat: 11.9g
A serving of drained canned kidney beans contains double the calcium of the same sized serving of dried boiled kidney beans
Crunchy Beef Tacos
This Mexican favourite is perfect as a light meal or snack. Drizzle with tomato salsa and sour cream for the perfect finish.
25 minutes to prepare and cook. Serves 4.
See “u.can cook” for more recipes devised with James Martin
500g minced beef
420g can red kidney beans in chilli sauce
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 red onion, finely diced
1 Tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ tsp ground cumin
200g jar red jalapenos, drained
2 little gem lettuces
100g Emmental cheese, grated
8 taco shells
1. Heat the oil in a deep sided frying pan or wok.
2. Add the onion and fry until soft, add the mince and brown.
3. Add garlic and cumin and fry for a minute.
4. Stir in kidney beans and tomatoes, gently simmer for 15 minutes.
5. To serve, preheat oven to fan 180°C, conventional 200°C, gas 6.
6. Place taco shells, open end down on a baking sheet and heat for 2-3 minutes.
7. Stuff the warmed tacos with lettuce, fill with the chilli beef, top with jalapenos and cheese, eat immediately while the taco is crisp.
Hints and Tips:
Try serving with tomato salsa and sour cream.
If you are unable to find kidney beans in chilli sauce, use a can of red kidney beans and add 1-2 tsp chilli powder with cumin.