Saturated fat: 9.9g
Canned beans are delicious and count as one of your 5-A-DAY
Sausage and Mushroom Cassoulet
This classic dish is simple to make and is an ideal winter warmer for the whole family to enjoy.
Can be slow cooked or prepared in advance. Serves 4.
30g/1oz dried mushrooms
1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh thyme
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
450g/1lb mixed mushrooms, sliced
|400g/14oz can white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
400g/14oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
400g/14oz can flageolet beans, drained and rinsed
400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 bay leaves
55g/2oz fresh white breadcrumbs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Place the sausages into a roasting tin and cook for 30 minutes or until the sausage is cooked and brown. Turn the sausages occasionally. When the sausages are cool enough to handle cut on the angle into 2.5cm/1in pieces. Save any fat in the pan. Cut the chorizo to similar sized pieces and fry gently.
3. Place the dried mushrooms into a food processor with the rosemary and thyme. Process as finely as you can. Using a large pan mix this powder with 570ml/1 pint of boiling water. Stir and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, add the oil to the pan with a lid and gently fry the onion and garlic for about 15 minutes until the onion has softened, but not coloured. Add the fresh mushrooms and cook over a high heat for about 3-4 minutes until they have started to colour.
5. Add the canned tomatoes and tomato purée to the mushroom stock, mix and then add the beans and the mushrooms and onions.
6. Mix well and bring to the boil. Season with salt and black pepper. Add the sausages and any saved fat from the roasting pan. Add the bay leaves and simmer gently on the top of the stove for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
7. Cook until the liquid is reduced and clinging to the beans.
8. Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and place under the grill or in the oven until golden. Alternatively it can also be cooked in the oven for 1 hour at the same temperature.