Click image to enlarge
Nutritional information per serving:
| of which saturates
| of which sugars
Vegetarian Sausage and Mustard Bean Bake
- 1 pack (300g) gluten free, vegetarian sausages, chopped
- 1 x 395g canned red kidney beans in chilli sauce
- 1 x 400g canned of chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsps whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
Cooks tip: This recipe can also be made using canned carrots, a useful store cupboard ingredient.
- Preheat the oven to 180°c, gas mark 4.
- In large heavy based saucepan, heat the oil and add the sliced onions.
- Sauté for five minutes until starting to colour. Add the tsp of sugar and continue to cook for an extra minute.
- Add the sliced carrots and sausages.
- Cook for a further five minutes, ensuring the sausages don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli beans, tomato puree and mustard. Stir well.
- Fill the chilli bean tin with warm (not hot) water and add to the pan. Stir.
- Transfer to a casserole dish, place the lid on or cover with tin foil.
- Cook in the oven for a further 20-30 minutes until the carrots are soft.
- After 10 minutes, check the dish to see if it’s dry, add extra water if needed.
- Serve with buttery mash potato.