Click image to enlarge
Nutritional information per serving:
Nutritional value per serving
| of which saturates
| of which sugars
One serving counts as 2
of your 5-A-DAY target of fruit and vegetable portions.
Billy and Jack’s Indian veggie burgers with coconut onion bhajis
These vegetarian burgers with onion bhajis make for a perfect meat-free meal using canned ingredients. And if you want to take it one step further, why not replace the yoghurt with a vegan alternative to make this a fully vegan dish?
For the burger
For the onion bhaji
- 1 x 560g can peeled new potatoes
- 1 x 400g can petit pois and baby carrots
- ½ 290g can sliced mushrooms
- ½ 390g can fried onions
- 1 heaped tsp garlic paste
- 1 heaped tsp curry paste
- 250g panko breadcrumbs
- 8 tbsp yoghurt
- 2 heaped tsp mild curry powder
- 8 tsp mango chutney
- Handful coriander leaves
- 8 brioche buns
- 2 Little Gem lettuces
- 3 vine tomatoes
- Rapeseed oil
- ½ 400g can coconut milk
- 1 x 390g can fried onions
- 75g whole flour
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Oil for deep frying
- For the burger, drain the potatoes, petit pois and baby carrots, sliced mushrooms and fried onions. Add all can contents to a large frying pan with a little oil, the garlic and curry paste. Heat for 5 minutes until the vegetables start to brown.
- Remove from the heat and combine with a potato masher, leaving some texture. Season and stir in the panko breadcrumbs to form a stiffer mixture. Set aside to cool.
- For the bhajis, brown the onions for 5 minutes over a high heat to remove some moisture, stir in the coconut milk followed by the flour and the cumin, combine well.
- Heat the oil in a deep sided frying pan and when hot, or registering 180°C, add 8 spoonfuls of the bhaji mixture and fry for 1 minute, turnover and cook for a further 1 minute or until golden brown and crispy. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Mould the burger mixture into 8 even patties and fry on each side for 2 minutes until brown and warmed through.
- Mix the yoghurt and curry powder, spread a tbsp over the toasted buns, add 3 slices of tomatoes and two lettuce leaves, top with the burger, add a tsp mango chutney followed by the onion bhaji.
© 2019 Canned Food UK, all rights reserved